Changes to summer enrolment
We’ve made some changes to the way you enrol on an Outward Bound summer adventure.
For any of you who are familiar with our old booking process this may throw you, so here’s a quick guide to what’s new:
The biggest difference you’ll spot is the point that we ask for your medical and enrolment information. Here’s what’s different:
- As the number of participants attending our courses each summer has grown we've brought the medical and enrolment process forward in our calendar. This data is now asked for when you apply. This allows our centres to plan appropriately, and make contact with you if required, well in advance of the summer season beginning.
- With the introduction of GDPR, we have also made the enrolment process digital enabling us to drop our old paper form. This allows us to protect your data more securely than we could in paper format.
What does this mean for you?
The upshot of this, is that our enrolment process may take you a little longer to complete. At least at the point of application. So before you hit ‘apply now’ it may be an idea to put the kettle on, pour yourself a brew and set aside 20 minutes or so before your get started. On the plus side, you’ll no longer need to provide this information in a paper format and then post it back to us!
Make sure you set aside the right amount of time to complete the form. Depending on the number of medical conditions or special requirements the participant may have, it could take up to 25 minutes to complete.
You cannot save the form half-way through and return to it later, so it's best if you gather everything you need before starting. Here are a few things you may way to consider:
- Who your emergency contacts will be during the summer (you will need two)
- The name and address of your doctors surgery
- A knowledge or record of any recent illnesses relating to medical conditions
- A list of any medication needed by the participant
- A list of any allergies the participant has
- A knowledge of any mental health conditions the participant may suffer from
- Weight and height of the participant
It is not possible to complete this form on the behalf of multiple participants. Parents/guardians must submit one form per participant.
As the form is quite long and contains lots of important information. We recommend you use a desktop, laptop or tablet rather than a mobile to complete it.
If you have any questions about these changes drop us an email or give us a call on 01931 7400 00. In the meantime we’ve thrown together some top tips for filling out our new form below.
From Greece to Aberdovey a Family Q&A
5 March 19
Find out why Ian and Rebecca encouraged their daughter on a summer adventureRead more
A Summer with Lojska
19 February 19
Read our Q&A with Lojska, a Skills for Life Award participant from Manchester.Read more
Top Tips for the Perfect Campsite
19 June 18
Sharing top tips for pitching a tent and lighting a campfire.Read more