Thank you for donating to The Outward Bound Trust!. Your first payment has been authorised and your subscription has been setup!
If you need to change your subscription details, please call us on +44 (0) 1931 740 000.
Sorry, it looks like something went wrong whilst your payment was being processed. Please try again.
If you need help, please call us on +44 (0) 1931 740 000.
Graduate Trainee Outdoor Instructor Scheme
Our scheme is presently closed, but if you'd like to leave your details below and register your interest, we'll contact you when applications reopen.
About the scheme
We're looking for aspiring outdoor professionals, who've recently graduated with either a Degree in Outdoor Studies or closely related subject; who are ready to work and keen to start their career in outdoor education.
DO YOU WANT TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE?
- Are you a graduate with a degree in Outdoor Studies (or closely related subject) with passion for big adventures in the outdoors?
- Do you want to help young people learn about themselves and what they are capable of?
- Are you ready to start your career with one of the UK's leading outdoor education providers?
If you've answered YES to all of the above then we have the answer...
What's on offer...
Here at Outward Bound, we think that after three years of hard study you deserve a grad scheme that will offer you…
- Full salary while you train
- Guaranteed job as Outward Bound Instructor progressing to Senior Instructor
- Intensive training to get you where you deserve to be
- Support for ongoing training and CPD
- Build a portfolio of NGB qualifications
- Opportunity to use all your university skills and knowledge and build more
- Opportunity to progress to all other Outward Bound centres
- Opportunity to take sabbaticals and career breaks
- Great working environment, sea, rivers, sun and mountains
- Supportive yet challenging work place enabling you to reach your professional potential
- Individualised learning
- Starting salary of £18,357, plus benefits package
- Permanent contract of employment with The Outward Bound Trust
- Good quality kit, including Berghaus uniform
- 24 days paid holiday a year, plus bank holidays
- Opportunities for future career breaks
- Initially based at Aberdovey with the opportunity to move within The Trust
- Progression to Senior Instructor (£22,462 - £31,947)
What we are looking for...
The pre-requisites for candidates are:
- A relevant degree in Outdoor Studies, or closely related subject
- Practical outdoor experience working with young people
- Made good progression towards the Rock Climbing Instructor Award, Summer Mountain Leader Award, and canoeing qualifications.
Be warned - our grad scheme isn't for slackers! It's for aspiring outdoor professionals who are ready to work and keen to start their career in outdoor education. Successful applicants will need to have a passion for both the development of young people and having adventures in the outdoors.
Building on your theoretical knowledge you will progress quickly through the trainee scheme, first qualifying as an Outward Bound Instructor and ultimately moving into a Senior Instructor role. Graduates are expected to achieve the position of instructor within 12 months of starting the scheme.
There will be lots of support and challenge along the way - our grad scheme includes a mix of on and off the job training, with a focus of applying knowledge and developing both your interpersonal skills and technical outdoor skills. You will be supported to achieve NGB awards for activities on the mountains and water.
You will be working in a small group of like minded individuals so there will be plenty of opportunities for adventures and plenty of fun.
You will report in to Glen Bickell, a Learning and Adventure Manager at our Aberdovey centre, but as part of your training will work alongside all of the instructors and staff team at Outward Bound. The pace will be fast and intense and you will be expected to achieve results.
Register your interest
Leave your details below and we'll let you know when applications reopen.