Over 80% of our education participants received funding last year
Money should not be a barrier to success
We don’t let money stand in the way. As a charity, it's our mission to make what we do available to as many young people as possible.
In 2017, thanks to the generosity of our supporters and donors, as well as money raised through fundraising events and our early careers development, we received £3.1m to put towards appropriate funding for schools, colleges and youth groups. This went on to support 15,817 participants to attend an Outward Bound course.
How do I apply?
To apply for financial assistance to put towards an Outward Bound course, follow these steps:
1. Check that the young people in your school, college or youth group meet the criteria
2. Start your application by filling in the Eligibility Form
3. Within 48 hours, we’ll be in touch to confirm if you're eligible
4. The final stage is to complete the Financial Assistance Application Form - we send this to you if you're eligible.Start your application
Financial assistance is available to all UK residents who are in the education system. Suitable candidates need to meet at least two of the following criteria:
- Free school meals
- Low-income family
- English as a second language
- Special educational needs
- Poor educational attainment
- At risk of offending
- Ethnic minority backgrounds.
As a charity we raise £3 million each year to help cover programme costs for 80% of our education participants, ensuring that our unique experiences we offer are open to everyone, irrespective of their financial circumstances.
Funding comes from four key sources:
- Donations from corporates
- Donations from individuals
- Trusts and foundations
- Fundraising events
Every school, college and youth group is different and the amount of funding you could receive is dependent on a number of factors. This includes your eligibility and your location (we sometimes have access to special regional funding), as well as the number of participants you would like to bring and the time of year you can come.
In 2017, on average, schools, colleges and youth groups received funding of around 40% to put towards the cost of an Outward Bound course.
The simplest and quickest way to find out how much funding you could receive is to get in touch with us using the eligibility form.
The full cost of the course before any funding is granted is £445pp for 5 days and £295pp for 3 days.
With maximum levels of support, this could be reduced to as low as £216pp and £145pp (for 5 or 3 days).
What's included in the cost? We ensure prices for our highly impactful and quality courses are fair, and fully inclusive of everything with no hidden extras. You will get:
- A full day and evening plan, jam-packed full of activities
- 24-hour pastoral care
- A dedicated instructor per group
- All accommodation and bedding
- Breakfast, lunch and dinner
- All equipment and kit
- Fully comprehensive insurance for all
Some of our most successful courses are funded through a combination of Outward Bound funding, school contribution and participant contribution. Many schools we work with make use of their Pupil Premium or Pupil Equity funding.
There are often other funding streams available for schools to apply to that could be used to help fund an Outward Bound course. Some we know of include:
- Sport Premium
- National Collaborative Outreach Programme (NCOP)
- It’s Great Out There
- The London Community Foundation
- Foundation Scotland
- The Peter Minet Trust
Also, keep an eye on Government websites for news and updates about funding opportunities:
Yes, a fundraising plan is a great way of further reducing the cost of an Outward Bound course when combined with the Outward Bound financial assistance.
In our experience, schools are already fantastic at raising money, but just in case you need a few tips to get you started...
- Set up a fundraising page and ask for donations
- Write to local businesses
- Apply to charitable groups and organisations
- Organise your own fundraising event. Could you host a car boot sale on the school grounds? Or a bag pack at your local supermarket?
- Send a press release to the local press to promote your fundraising efforts