DHL UK Foundation and DHL
Every year, thanks to funding from DHL UK Foundation, 180 young people aged 14-15 attend an Outward Bound residential. These young people come from all over UK and are often from disadvantaged backgrounds. In addition DHL colleagues join the residential as Employee Ambassadors. Employee Ambassadors join the young people on their Outward Bound course, taking part in all activities, providing encouragement, an insight into the world of logistics and act as an additional positive adult role model alongside the Outward Bound instructor.
- To provide disadvantaged young people with the opportunity to raise their aspirations and to develop new skills
- To fulfil DHL UK Foundation’s charitable objective of supporting disadvantaged young people to reach their full potential
- To engage DHL employees in their local communities
- To develop DHL employees, enhancing their communication, teamwork and leadership skills as they support young people at Outward Bound
Benefits to the young people
- Raising achievement. raising the aspirations and ambitions of young people, improving attitudes towards learning and behaviour at school and in their communities.
- Developing life skills. providing young people the chance to develop skills such as team work, communication and leadership, as well as improving their confidence, self-esteem and resilience.
- Strengthening communities. integrating school year groups, creating greater empathy and understanding of different backgrounds, cultures and circumstances, helping to develop compassion and tolerance.
Benefits to the DHL Foundation and DHL
- Engages DHL employees. The programme engages the skills and enthusiasm of DHL employees in the communities in which they live and work, while helping to deliver a better future for disadvantaged young people – fulfilling the Foundation’s charitable objectives.
- Supporting local communities. The three-way partnership enables DHL to develop new relationships with local schools and raise awareness of the logistics industry as a potential employer.
- Team development. DHL colleagues further enhance their skills in listening, communication and leadership; and employees from different backgrounds and business units are able work across functions and to take their experiences back into their workplace