This is a course for women who want to work as an Instructor , developing young people, within The Outward Bound Trust in the future. If you identify as non-binary or transgender and the purpose and themes of the course resonate with you, we’d love to receive your application.
You should have completed a minimum of one out of three of Summer Mountain Leader Training, Rock Climb Instructor (or SPA) Training, and/or Paddlesports Leader Training (or equivalent) and have significant personal experience / logbook time in another, by the course start date. There is no maximum level of qualification. It is desirable to have 12-18 months experience working with young people in any context.
The course could be for you if:
- You are working your way towards outdoor leadership qualifications and a career in the outdoors developing young people.
- You have completed the core qualifications listed above, want a job with Outward Bound and are keen to be part of a supportive community as you start with The Trust.
- You want to challenge yourself to grow and develop alongside a group of capable women.
- You have passed some or all of the technical qualifications listed above and want to learn more about how you can use these working in wild places to develop young people's confidence, resilience and self-belief.
- You want to experience being led by women further on in their career journey, while sharing your skills and being a role model for others too.
- You have thought about working at Outward Bound and are not sure if you are ready, or it feels like a big step from what you’ve previously been doing.
- You have previous experience in working with young people (e.g. education or youth work), are hoping to change direction by developing technical skills to work in the outdoor context, and would like to gain valuable experience by working at Outward Bound in the future.
- You want to be part of the movement towards Outward Bound and the outdoor sector becoming more diverse, inclusive and welcoming to everyone in society.
Depending on your start point, and aspirations there will be different pathways into employment following the programme.