Babock (Marine) Clyde
A strategic review at Babcock (Marine) Clyde had highlighted two key focus areas:
- Growing the pipeline
- Building capability and capacity
The L&D team chose to reinvest in their apprenticeship programme as they recognised that their apprentices needed more than technical skills to deliver against the business need. They needed the ability to embrace change, face complexity and meet challenges within an ever changing landscape.
80% of apprentices now complete their training early compared to 20% pre-programme. This has brought immediate and enduring cost savings for Babcock (Marine) Clyde.
Our Growth Mindset programme was so good it won a raft of awards - including the Princess Royal Training Award and bronze at the Learning Awards. We were also finalists at the CIPD People Management, Personnel Today and Scottish Training Federation awards.
How we achieve this
To make a real impact on the apprentices, their teams and ultimately the business, Babcock (Marine) Clyde and Outward Bound designed a unique programme with key modular inputs, technical qualifications and continual business support. The Growth Mindset programme combines:
- Residential modules, exploring effective mindsets, strengths and development
- Innovative projects and action learning, to put learning into practice
- Feedback, review and dialogue to embed lasting behaviour change
- Workplace support, 1:1 coaching, monthly progress meetings and reports, placement questionnaires and behavioural assessments.
About Babcock (Marine) Clyde
Babcock International Group is the UK’s market-leading engineering support services company, delivering complex and critical asset support both in the UK and overseas. At Babcock (Marine) Clyde they are responsible for the operational maintenance and in-service support to ships and submarines at HM Naval Base Clyde.