Graduate Trainee Instructor Scheme
Applications for our 2018 Graduate Trainee Instructor Scheme have closed.
All the details of our grad scheme are below. If you're a graduate with the relevant qualifications and you'd like to be one of the first to know when our next grad scheme opens for applicants - then fill in the form on the right and we'll alert you by email.
Do you want to make a difference?
- Are you a graduate with a passion for big adventures in the outdoors?
- Do you want to help young people learn about themselves and what they are capable of?
- Are you ready to start your career with one of the UK's leading outdoor education providers?
If you've answered YES to all of the above then we have the answer...
What's on offer...
Here at Outward Bound, we think that after three years of hard study you deserve a grad scheme that will offer you…
- Full salary while you train
- Guaranteed job as Outward Bound Instructor progressing to Senior Instructor
- Intensive training to get you where you deserve to be
- Support for ongoing training and CPD
- Build a portfolio of NGB qualifications
- Opportunity to use all your university skills and knowledge and build more
- Opportunity to progress to all other Outward Bound centres
- Opportunity to take sabbaticals and career breaks
- Great working environment, sea, rivers, sun and mountains
- Supportive yet challenging work place enabling you to reach your professional potential
- Individualised learning
- Starting salary of £17,508, plus benefits package
- Permanent contract of employment with The Outward Bound Trust
- Good quality kit, including Berghaus uniform
- 24 days paid holiday a year, plus bank holidays
- Opportunities for future career breaks
- Initially based at Aberdovey with the opportunity to move within The Trust
- Progression to Senior Instructor (£20,500 -£27,500 subject to review)
WHO are we LOOKING FOR...
Be warned - our grad scheme isn't for slackers! It's for aspiring outdoor professionals, those who've recently graduated in a relevant discipline, who are ready to work and keen to start their career in outdoor education. Successful applicants will need to have a passion for both the development of young people and having big adventures in the outdoors.
Building on your theoretical knowledge you will progress quickly through the trainee scheme, first qualifying as an Outward Bound Instructor and ultimately moving into a Senior Instructor role.
There will be lots of support and challenge along the way - our grad scheme includes a mix of on and off the job training, with a focus of applying knowledge and developing your technical outdoor skills. You will be supported to achieve NGB awards for activities on the mountains and water.
You will be working in a small group of likeminded individuals so there will be plenty of opportunities for big adventures and plenty of fun. You will report in to Glen Bickill, a Learning and Adventure Manager at our Aberdovey centre, but as part of your training will work alongside all of the instructors and staff team at Outward Bound. The pace will be fast and intense and you will be expected to achieve results.